Monday, January 2, 2012

the walnut lesson.

I think I captured one of my favorite images ever on New Years Eve. As so often is the case, I run out the door minutes before the sun sets and search for what He would have me capture. A little bit of Him for me at that moment to share with you.


Yah that's not it, but the whispers start there. I looked down and saw a seed, not the walnut all covered up. Potential. A covering of what will be. It was brief the conversation between Him and I, but I knew exactly what He was trying to tell me.

A few year ago, I was lead rather blindly into a discipleship course that changed my life. A course that gently takes your hand and shows you that God wants and desires so much more of you and for you. This course isn't for the timid, heck no. Your personal pride and everything you thought you knew gets a 180 and you spin outta control for a bit while you find your balance in Him, your Father. With the help of others who are experiencing the same thing you are shown the lies that the evil one has attached into the fabric of your being every so cunningly.  Uncovering what was meant to be planted by God in rich soil. 18 months of week after week to recalibrate my inner most being. God showed himself strong in those hard steps and I of course give Him all the glory that He deserves. I am truly nothing without Him.

Once you have experienced something so grand and life changing, you want it desperately for those you love.  But the evil one works overtime at even the mention of such, and even the thought of a different way is cast away and life continues on. Which brings me of course to the walnut.


If I pry the covering off early by my own hands the seed gets exposed, but the ground that it is supposed to be planted in is frozen. If it's my timing and not the Fathers, more damage is done, and the walnut gets stuck on the fence.. and true change won't happen. A waste of a seed at that moment. Nope, my hands won't do this walnut any good. I have to wait. To allow the Fathers ultimate plan of seasons and time to slowly remove the covering and plant the seed, and knowing that drives me to pray. 

To pray desperately for the unity that could be, but isn't. A oneness with brothers, sisters, spouses, and children that comes from the Father. Each seeking His face first, to be closer to each other here on earth without reservations and paradigms. To pray that the covering will be stripped away so that the potential that He put there is planted. Only then, when the seed is planted by the Father can I  nourish it and care for it. Until then, my only job is to lift the seed up in prayer. 

Now, I think you can see the beauty of my favorite image ever. It's really not just a gross walnut with flaws. It is a beautiful seed... just waiting and willing me to lift it up to the Father. 


"That's why I don't think there's any comparison between the present hard times and the coming good times. The created world itself can hardly wait for what's coming next. Everything in creation is being more or less held back. God reins it in until both creation and all the creatures are ready and can be released at the same moment into the glorious times ahead. Meanwhile, the joyful anticipation deepens. Romans 8:21-22 The Message
_____________________


No comments: