Friday, December 17, 2010

my mourning morning.

This post actually started last summer. When my older sister took me to a wonderful fabric store in her area. There, I suggested that both my sisters pick out some fabric for a purse or tote that I would sew for them.    


 I took out that fabric this morning armed with ideas and skills to make her gift. 
Then, I cut it wrong.  

I was Mortified, with a capital "M" 


 My thoughts went directly to yesterday's post when I asked God if He'd spare me some seam ripping today as I sewed, knowing Christmas is but days away. I would be lying to you if I said I didn't cry. Tears streamed down my face, as I looked at what once was whole and full of potential, ruined by my own hands.


Isaiah 26:3 "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you,"  has been my verse of the month that I'm memorizing.. and my mind went immediately to that.  How am I supposed to keep my mind on Him AND sew? It would seem I can't do both today, or ever. 

My auntie called just then (she's an amaxing sewing artist, my go to gal when I have issues)  I lamented to her my morning miss-cut, and told her I was in mourning. 

She simply said, "I have been there." 

That's all it took to snap me back to reality. The fact that I'm not dumb for being sad that I messed up. The fact that someone has been where I am. I felt comfort, a validation for my feelings.

Then I regrouped, asked myself.. who I really needed to make a present for, and Ruth's name came rushing into my head. She's a single lady who I adore that I work with. Our Christmas party is tomorrow evening, and I have her name.  I think of what I do have that I could make her. 

I have scraps, and tons of them. Seemingly useless pieces that when joined by the Master, can make something beautiful. 



So, I start sewing, and God gives me these cards. No seam ripping, No thought process, just plain sewing and enjoying God while I do. It's like He whispered to my heart.. "It's ok, I got this. trust me. Let's make something beautiful, together. You be my hands, and I'll guide you." 


"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, 
because he trusts in you." Isaiah 26:3

No comments: