Friday, October 7, 2011

ahhh Italy!

Are you thinking like I am that this was the never ending vacation? Seems like I've been tell you about it now forever. Regardless.. lets move on to the most fantastic day for views yet. If I would have googled anything about this day, I would have known what I was in for, but once again, brother-in-law "Rick Steve" came to the rescue and did the research, hired a private driver and off we went.... 


to the Almafi coast in Italy.   Stunning in EVERY way possible. 


Cities built into the mountains, makes me wonder how they did that a lot. 


This is the first view of the city of Sorrento.. a deep valley right across the street from the parking garage.  Here we shopped a little, but could have stayed the whole darn day. The weather was amazing and the shops were all unique and interesting. 


 Then after an hour or so we went further on to the city of Positano. 


Tourist town of course, but it was just a darling little busy town.


In hindsight, I would have stripped down and dove in.. golly it was just beautiful to be standing the Mediterranean Sea with the man of my dreams.


Our driver then took us to a local place to eat. A place where the food came right off the land. I know here we can do that too, but to just partake in the goodness and not worry about the other stuff that comes with growing and preparing your own food, left me feeling very spoiled.


Here's the crew looking out right before we entered the restaurant.


Homemade mozzarella and tomatoes picked just moments before we devoured them.


If you ever get a chance... go there. Thats all I'm saying. 


Being in the mountains, tunnels were very much a part of life. I think this one lasted 3 miles.. Kinda freaky if you ask me. 


Then, onto Pompei. 


Buried under the ash of Mt Vesuvius, Pompei was just blowing my mind. So much to think about while walking the streets of the city of 20,000 that once had so much to offer whoever visited.  


Here's our guide, and the Lead Singer demonstrating how the people would cross the streets when it rained. Do you see the elevated rocks? I don't have the picture, mainly because it was daylight, but they inlayed bright reflective stones on the street, so that the lanterns from the chariots would reflect the street so that they could see the road. To say the people of Pompei were great builders is a vast understatement.




They even had spas, and what's weird is that it actually felt like a spa we'd have today.


If you haven't researched Pompeii, this might actually intrigue you.  The person above was filled full of plaster type material when found, and a body emerged in the exact position of death, same with the following image.

One last shot of the mountain that cause the fall of Pompeii, and it was back to the boat.



Where we had formal night. 




we almost made it home....

No comments: